nafex - Re: [nafex] Apple sauce production

  • From: LONGDISTSHTR <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Apple sauce production
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 21:21:15 -0400

Open the door to endless possibilities for your home!
http://click.egroups.com/1/7726/15/_/423498/_/968808170/

Lon J Rombough wrote:

> For a FAST way, get yourself a good blender - I highly recommend a VITA-MIX.
> Core, but
> don't peel (the blender will grind the peel completely) the apples. Puree
> them in the blender and add whatever
> sweetening and spices you like. Cold pack the jars and can them - boil at
> least an hour or more. This will also preserve more of the fresh apple
> flavor.
> I would also strongly suggest you get stainless steel pans and toss the
> aluminum
> ones - the acids in fruit will dissolve aluminum and you'll get it in the
> food. Aluminum accumulates in the body and has been implicated in
> connection with Alzheimer's.
> -Lon Rombough
> ----------
> >From: W3cmp@aol.com
> >To: nafex@egroups.com
> >Subject: [nafex] Apple sauce production
> >Date: Tue, Sep 12, 2000, 8:50 AM
> >

> >After spending a full weekend making and canning applesauce in (10? qt.
> >pots), one small batch at a time, my wife has asked me to ask if there are
> >recipies available for bigger batches? She cores and peels the apples,
> >puts
> >a little water in the bottom of a pot, and slowly cooks the apples down.
> >She
> >adds sugar to taste when the apple have almost completely turned to asuce.
> >Two complaints are the tendency of the applesauce to burn if not constantly
> >stirred (we use aluminum pots for cooking, although we ended up also using
> >crock pots and although small, they seemed to work fine), and the tendency
> >for the sauce to separate after it has been sealed. Does anyone have any
> >suggestions, leads on equipment for making larger batches than 10 qt pots,
> >and tips on keeping the sauce from separating after it has been canned?
> >Maybe it would be a good thing to make an article for Pomona. Thanks for
> >your replies in advance. Chris Patterson

I've tried the apple sauce by Lon's suggestion. I don't mind it, but I'm
sure some purists might find the pectin in the peel objectional. It give
s a kind of ropey feel to the sauce. If you like Washington State White
House beautiful greenish-white sauce in the pretty can, you probably
won't like it. I honestly believe Lon's way gives you more nutrition
'tho. Doc Lisenby