msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] walking home?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: <Jorene@CEOates.com>, "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] walking home?
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 10:55:52 -0400

Maybe it is your horse.  Like they say there are two kinds of riders, those that have been throwed and those that will be.  I have been separated from my ride a few

times but neither ran home and left me stranded.  Generally they went less than a quarter mile, came back when called by name.  Part of the trust you build with your mount is that he doesn’t want to leave you alone.  And he does know when I am sick or injured and acts differently.  We went unexpectedly into a creek from the bank one day and when we got out he very carefully took me home on verbal command, using a route that avoided trail obstacles, steep grades, etc. Not the usual direct run home, but a walk trot without stopping to graze at the usual spots or being distracted by others in the park.  I have seen otherwise docile trail horses run miles after dumping a rider, so it is you and your horse relationship that make the difference.

Let the horse do the thinking—he is sometimes smarter.

Irv Lichtenstein