msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] First Aid Gear-splints, etc.--skipole

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] First Aid Gear-splints, etc.--skipole
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 21:30:20 -0700

For clarification, some folks actually use a ski pole modified for tracking. Others may use a trekking / hiking pole or staff.  A collapsible version can fit neatly behind the saddle. Handy when tracking from the saddle to have that extension to score a mark in the ground. You can also attach a light to suspend to aid with tracking. If you are concerned you might be clumsy with a pointed end around the horse, consider putting a cap of some kind on it to blunt the point.

Perhaps wearing critical gear seems more important to those who aren’t close to  support personnel or access roads. Most basic survival gear is soft or can be packaged to reduce impact if you land on it, but it doesn’t do you any good if you are miles from the horse with the critical gear attached to the saddle. With potential to be separated from the horse in the backcountry it makes more sense to me to wear basic survival gear on your person, and learn how to fall correctly or even wear a protective vest if you feel the need.

Jorene Downs

SAR & CERT

Mounted SAR

www.ceoates.com/msar

From: IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN

The ski pole is called a tracking stick by our bretheren on foot.  You can use rubber bands to mark stride, tread, and shoe length, on it and then place it on the ground next to a know track to find the next one or to compare one you find with the previously identified one.  The sharp point can be a problem on a horse.

And while whatever is on the saddle may go away if you fall off, whatever is on you is what you land on.  And the gear, especially consumer electronics, may not survive the fall even if you don’t land on top of it.  I wear the radios because if I dismount I want the radio handy without having to go back to the horse and get it out of the harness. Most of our experienced riders prefer to have 3 pounds of radio on the pommel or breast plate straps and use a speaker mike.