msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Training Conference idea?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Training Conference idea?
  • Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 13:06:16 -0400

The various things that have been done for mounted training include orienteering, on or off trail; presentations by farriers, vets, and nutritionists; trailer inspections and or driving; and of course a full up live subject search with combined resources.  We have one horse campground in a county park (3400 acres) that connects to about 30 miles of trails in the park and another 50 that in turn connect to another park and trail system.  It holds about 12 primitive sites (water for horses, portapotties, no showers or electricity).  The local state parks have trailheads but no camping (some Hostels) , one in the next region has 7500 acres, refurbished CCC facilities for large groups but

the horse camp is closed.  If per diem stalls are not out of the question there are actually empties at some barns next to the parks for the first time in years. Where I board had 15 empties out of 108 slots plus some camping space next to 1200 acres of park and a community college campus.  There is also a hostel in the park.

There will be a new trailhead on private land next to Valley Forge National Park soon, ground has been broken for the amenities building.  The Park’s classroom facilities are expensive to rent but there are alternatives in the area, like the Audubon  Society down the road.  And there are convention centers at Valley Forge/King of Prussia.

Another possibility is West Park in Fairmount Park where there is a former police barn next to a hostel.

Irv Lichtenstein