msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Training Conference idea?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Training Conference idea?
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 00:38:59 -0600

Chris,

A frequent wish list item mentioned on MSAR-Riders has been riding
and/or searching at night.

One of my pet peeves is low map skills. For that, consider a twist
on a trail-based POD search. Set out objects. Give the rider a
map of the trail, on a clipboard. Have the rider mark on the map
where they see an object. When the rider returns, score the map
against a master map. Assess for (a) percent of objects detected
and (b) accuracy of map annotation. This would work best if the
map is an orienteering map, because a map used for training must
be accurate and should also be very detailed.

Another idea is developing the horse's search abilities. I have a
video from NATRC (a competitive trail riding sport org in the US)
that includes a segment recorded by someone hiding in some bushes.
A horse passing by pricks its ears and stares at the camera while
the rider stares between the horse's ears. I have seen this in
person too: rider so focussed on getting to the place where they
want to search, that they ignore the horse's signal "hey, look at
that!" I can see a couple of ways to develop a hidden videotaper
into a training opportunity for MSAR.

Una