msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] gaited horses for sar

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@verizon.net
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] gaited horses for sar
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 08:50:06 -0500 (CDT)

LOL   This IS business!! We are in the business of using equines to do Search and Rescue. Whether a particular breed is or isn't suited to the work should be a valuable topic of discussion AS LONG AS it's done respectfully. So far it seems to be.

Personally I do not prefer QHs simply because they are so quiet. I prefer a more interactive partner. Doesn't mean that a QH isn't a good SAR mount. :-)  Just means that for ME, and the type of riding I do, I have other priorities. When I think about the horses in our unit it's actually amazing that there are NOT an abundance of one breed or another. We have QHs, Morgans, Arabs, Rocky's, Paso, FoxTrotters, haflingers, Fjords, and grades. Some are better at SAR work than others. Some are better at some facets of SAR work that other facets. All are well loved and well trained. I am happy to have them, and their riders, on my team!

We had a horse on the team once that no one wanted to work with. He would blow up with no notice. He was very large- 16+h and he hated to be anywhere but first, so he bullied his way around. Always laid down in water no matter where you were. LOL  Didn't think a thing about hitching a leg into the rider behind if he felt like it. His rider is extremely experienced and saw something that the rest of us didn't. Here, 6 years later, that is one FINE, very fine, SAR mount! He came into his own and is a valuable team member. So even individuals can become special with time and training. (oh- he is a QH!)

Getting them to the point where they are valuable team members is probably more important that the breed they are.

Chris