msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] gaited horses for sar

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] gaited horses for sar
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 20:09:11 -0400

I prefer tall, I like carrying a ladder around with me.
Our unit's basic guidance is to ride a horse you can reliably mount in the
field. This translates to short searchers ride short horses and tall
searchers ride short to tall horses. I have seen a rider over 6 feet and
275 pounds on an Icelandic, and I have seen a girl under 5-3 or so on my
17-2 Percheron. Both looked strange.

Irv Lichtenstein
"Those who don't learn history, will repeat it."