msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR horse selection / gaited horses for sar

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: emboote@aol.com
  • To: Jorene@CEOates.com, msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR horse selection / gaited horses for sar
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 09:25:54 -0400

I'll throw another perspective into the mix by saying that I ride a variety of SAR horses. All are geldings. One is a 15'2" QH, another a Haflinger cross, and a 17'2" retired TB race horse. I'm 5'6". All are good and experienced in the field work. Jorene makes a good point that it does depend upon the terrain and also the purpose of the search. The QH is good at indicating if there is a person on the ground and frequently snorts if there's an article out of place such as a hat or backpack. It isn't a spook, but more of a point and lock like a hunting dog would do on a ground bird. This kind of communication and engagement is helpful since a good part of the MSAR is using the horse's senses and brain. The TB adds visibility and makes it easier to see where the line is when leading a field sweep and with his stamina he can go all day, yet he's calm and can get through footing that would be difficult for a shorter mount. The Halfinger cross is great at difficult terrain since he's like a tank and, as Jorene pointed out, we can limbo under thick growth if we need to. Occasionally, I'll even ride one of the horses and pony the Haflinger if we feel we may need a pack pony or another mount to bring someone out.