msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] NAIS

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Chuck Daniel" <iwhound@voyager.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] NAIS
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 19:14:54 -0500

With all the interest on NAIS, I decided to visit one of the micro chip web sites. The site is Avid and one of the pages that caught my attention was the following. On the surface, it appears that we may have to have check in and check out stations a specific events. I'm not sure what to say about this, still need to form an opinion. I'm just throwing this out for further discussion.

On a side note, in addition to our horses we also have a personal kennel. We have 11 salukis, 2 I. Wolfhounds, 1 boarder collie, 1 boxer and 1 sheltie. All are chipped. We feel strongly about identification four you charges.

Chuck

Following text from Avid web site;

"How Will The NAIS Affect Me?

Voluntary or Mandatory? The ESWG states: "Provided Freedom of Information Act issues are resolved to industry satisfaction, mandatory equine identification should not be implemented before 2010 unless events necessitate earlier compliance."

Privacy ? The ESWG recommends: "Horse identification data/information must be kept confidential and exempt from current FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) requirements including a FOIA exemption to block data from passing among varied governmental agencies.

Only approved federal and state animal health authorities will have access to any state or federally managed database where the NAIS information essential to the enhancement of animal disease surveillance and monitoring is maintained."

How the proposed National Equine ID Program will affect you depends upon who you are. (Please note that no final decisions have been reached. Below is only conceptual, based upon the current ESWG recommendations.)

Private horse owner, with only a few horses:
If you transport your horse or co-mingle your horse with other equines, your horse will have permanent ID. Your horse's ID will be recorded as he leaves one premises, and when he arrives at another. This information will be forwarded to a national database at designated time intervals.

Large facility with breeding mares:
All facilities with a number of horses will be assigned a premises ID number. All horses will require individual ID. There will be someone at the facility designated to record all entries and exits of all horses at that premises. This information will be forwarded to a national database at regular intervals.

Training facility:
Training facilities will have a designated premises ID number. All horses entering and exiting the facility will have to be recorded and forwarded to a national database at regular intervals.

A veterinarian:
Veterinarians will be using the permanent ID of the individual horse on CVI's and Coggins forms. They will also be required to record all equines entering and exiting their facility. This information will be required to be forwarded to a national database at regular intervals.

If you show, travel or exhibit your horses:
You will be required to have permanent ID: This ID will be used on your health certificate, required for traveling. The ID will also have to be recorded as an exit from your premises and an entry upon entering your destination. Of course, it will be recorded when you exit your event and reenter your premises inserted."