msar-riders - [MSAR] Propose to your local AHJ

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Propose to your local AHJ
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 16:59:52 -0700

Hi Chuck,

Here are some random thoughts, some specific to you and others
of a more general nature, since other readers on MSAR-Riders are
with SAR units at the same stage of organizational development.

In order to have much chance of getting callouts, most SAR units
(including MSAR) need to be recognized by their local agency or
agencies having jurisdiction (AHJ). Often, that means you must
go through a formal application process, in effect by writing a
proposal.

Proposals are something I know a little about, having written my
share and reviewed hundreds more for several US federal agencies.

The single worst thing you can do in proposal writing is to skip
the self-assessment that any proposal implies. The second worst
thing you can do is not research the agency in question. It is
good to know what services other MSAR units can offer their own
AHJ, but what really matters is what specific services your unit,
right now, can realistically offer your AHJ, that your AHJ needs.

Chuck, we can help you write a solid proposal, if you'll tell us
more about your unit and about SAR more generally in your county,
adjacent counties, and state. I hope you take me up on this
idea, because you would be helping both yourself and many others
on MSAR-Riders.