market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] availability lists

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] availability lists
  • Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 21:15:09 -0400

We send out an email blast to all our customers.  We send one Restaurant and one Retailer availability listing (while the prices do not vary the offerings are different).

It breaks down what we have to offer into five categories:

Produce
Herbs
Specialty Items
Grains
Products of The Hive

We have a list of what is available listed alphabetically under each category with a price per unit (bottle, ounce, pound, each, etc).

We cut and past the email each week.  We have a SHORT paragraph at the top of each email letting folks know what to expect if "things go right" over the next to weeks.  I've found that most of our customers do not read it but I still include it anyway for those that do.

Some of our times that are in high demand but we may not have the volume (say if we KNOW there will be demand for 100# of mix salad greens and we know we can only fill 60# we will let folks know in the email that its first come first serve and mark the item as such with an asterisk.

Other customers, like Whole Foods Market has a list with codes and they generate a PO we supply the order.  They do not receive an availability list and order from a list we agreed to a while ago.

For our direct to consumer customers we have Facebook where we announce what we will have at market.

KISS works VERY well here.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio