market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Leeks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pam Twin Oaks <pam AT twinoaks.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Leeks
  • Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 15:41:04 -0400

Ron asked:
>I have grown leeks from seed for the past few years and have been able to produce a reasonable >seedling by April.  This year our seedlings aren't doing well and I am befuddled as to what I have >done wrong.  Any suggestions on what could be our problem?
>Ron McElwain
>NW Missouri - Zone 5

I love leeks, so I'll try tackling this question.

Old seed? Allium seed doesn't last long. if you still have some, you could try a germ test in a damp paper towel rolled up and kept in a plastic bag. Inspect twice daily to let fresh air in. Won't help this year's crop, but knowing the reason can bring a certain satisfaction! Some growers will only use allium seed the year it was purchased for, some will go one more year. I do think leek seed lasts a bit longer than bulb onion seed.

Seed too deep? Not watered enough? Seed maggots? Can you find any residue of the seed you sowed, if you dig around? Do the seedlings you have got seem healthy, just few and far between? Or are they poorly? (Which might suggest disease of some kind). If you suspect disease, or invisible pests, you could dig up a sample with some soil and send it in to your extension service for analysis. Free to commercial growers - a great service paid for by our taxes.

As to this year - is it too late to start over in your location? Here (zone 7) May 7 is our last date for sowing leeks for a winter crop. We like Tadorna as a cold-hardy type. King Seig is fairly hardy. Lincoln and King Richard grow fast (especially LIncoln), but are less cold-hardy.

Pam
--
Pam Dawling

Author of Sustainable Market Farming, Intensive Vegetable Production on a Few Acres
http://www.sustainablemarketfarming.com/
http://www.facebook.com/SustainableMarketFarming
http://www.newsociety.com/Books/S/Sustainable-Market-Farming

  • Re: [Market-farming] Leeks, Pam Twin Oaks, 04/09/2013