market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farming Advice

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farming Advice
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 21:47:56 -0400

My question would be to define "extra income" and "low investment".

My first bit of advice would be lease it out and then learn with the person you are leasing to.  You get rent income and an education...and a tax break (or maybe not, here you do if you are AG period even if its a side business so long as it generates revenue.

Easiest way to start from zero is to grow produce OR establish a hay/forage crop and sell it to whom ever needs it.  You will gain lots of knowledge about the ground and become well versed in maintaining it.  You can rent equipment, trade hay rights for hay (which you can then sell).  There is no easy formula for figuring out cash flow.  I know how much a single acre of my hay ground generates but that is different than yours.  Our market is a whole lot different than yours too...you are near enough to DC/Richmond corridor to see craziness I would think...maybe not.

Baby steps start out simple do not expect to see a dime for years.

In the end if farming allowed you to get some extra income with a low investment everyone would be farming.  :)

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855