market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farming Advice

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farming Advice
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 14:16:41 -0500

On May 19, 2011, at 1:15 PM, "McCormick, Rebecca (Genworth)"
<Rebecca.McCormick AT genworth.com> wrote:
My goal is to start small and gain experience. We decided to go with raised
beds to help with keeping the weed issue under control.

Rebecca,

You touched on the one piece of advice I would give that I haven't yet seen
on any of the great replies you've gotten so far...start small. In the years
since we started doing this, we've seen many a farming operation start up
only to see it fail and shut down within a season or two. It's very hard work
farming animals or plants or both, so ease into it rather than diving in the
deep end right away. That way you can learn what parts you like best, which
ones are more profitable, which have the best markets in your area, etc. Grow
the best parts as you get better at it.

Expect to meet unexpected challenges. Don't get discouraged. With nature,
there are too many variables, many beyond your control. Learn from failures,
take a deep breath and a day away from nonessential farm chores, and go on.

Diversify your markets when you start producing in larger volumes to hedge
against a bad economy among other reasons.

Lastly, charge a fair market price for your product. It keeps your product at
a good valuation, and more importantly, it'll keep your fellow local
producers happy.

There aren't enough local food producers anywhere. Glad you are thinking of
getting into it.

Good luck,
Laurie
Barking Cat Farm