market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farming Advice

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mac" <gofish54 AT centurytel.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farming Advice
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 12:37:09 -0400

On 5/19/2011 at 11:49:12 AM, McCormick, Rebecca (Genworth) wrote:
> Hello –
>
> I have 10 acres and I am very interested in using this land to generate extra
> income through farming. I have no farming experience what so ever and I would
> like to begin with a low investment, so I will need to start out with
> something easy to manage.
I agree with Richard, you have to pay for education.  If it is going to be by experience, then you will lose some money as you learn.  It took me two years before I understood enough and gathered enough equipment and tools to start making things profitable.
My uncle, who has farmed for 70 years has watched me with great interest and I have been a source of many good laughs for him, my friends and my neighbors.  I wouldn't trade my experience over the past few years and still look forward to getting on the tractor each day.  Another thing, you can't do this by yourself.  Make good friends and neighbors, they will help you out time and again.
Mac