market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] non de-beaked chicks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Vern and Amy <vaspencer AT sisna.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] non de-beaked chicks
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 09:37:58 -0800

Hi Beth and Aaron,
I am new here today, so bear with me. I have never seen a de-beaked bird in real life. We have gotten chicks from a couple different hatcheries mailorder and had good success. Most recently we started some from Mt. Healthy, and our neighbors that we went in with raise several hundred layers and lots of fryers naturally. They were happier with Mt. Healthy Hatchery than more well-known hatcheries such as Privett, etc. More robust chicks and arrive via mail a day faster even though they are coming from farther away. We got ours before it started getting cold in Oct, but the neighbors were just getting more last week! She said they only come debeaked from anywhere if you request it and pay extra for the extra labor in debeaking. I believe the hatchery can put a self-contained heating pad in the box--don't let them sit at your local P.O. overnight anyway!--stay in contact with your postmaster.

Vern
Vern's Veggies and More!

  • Re: [Market-farming] non de-beaked chicks, Vern and Amy, 01/24/2011