market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] prices & quality

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mike Brabo <mdbrabo AT att.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] prices & quality
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 19:09:48 -0600

Dear precious farmers,

Living overseas and currently located near ground "Zero" in the St Louis area I've seen first hand the damage that "M", other multinational corporations and various governments have allowed.

*  When a chef prepared a meal for "M" execs the ingredients were specifically requested to be organic.
*  "M" has wide sway over the local media.
*  I personally know "M" employees.  One is a member of our CSA while others buy from us at local markets.  They PREFER local, non-gmo, organically raised produce.
*  Our relatives farm conventionally 1200 acres, some of which borders our farm.  NINE straight seasons of GM corn.  In the spring when everything is starting to grow on our side of the fence their field looks like a moonscape.  Profitable? Yes, in the short run...
*  I spent 2 years living in Eastern Europe downwind from Chernobyl.  I've seen first hand the results of centralized-agricultural "Co-Ops" and the mayhem it causes in the ecosystems.  Not to mention the environmentally caused heavy metal poisoning, radiation exposure and subsequent thyroid cancer I've had to deal with personally.
*  I've been to villages in rural India and seen the lives that farmers struggle with....  Many are no longer able to save their own seed.  100k+ have committed suicide.  Read it!  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1082559/The-GM-genocide-Thousands-Indian-farmers-committing-suicide-using-genetically-modified-crops.html
*  In Eastern Europe/Ukraine, peasants, millions of them, were eradicated by big government by their desire to control the food supply and thus the population.  Here in America we're too educated to call people "peasants".  Here we call them "farmers."   Sadly, history often repeats itself.

It's especially difficult to face relatives who laugh at us for what we're doing.  "Why would I want to sweat in the heat picking green beans when I can kick back in the A/C cab of my dad's $200k tractor listening to my iPod?" a young cousin quipped.

Todd has it right...   It is all about the money.  AND control I may add.

For me and my family, it's a precious, personal freedom to be able to determine what we put into our bodies.  Sadly most of the world's population doesn't have that freedom.  We're effecting positive change one person and family at a time.

My 2.2ยข
Mike
Vesterbrook Farm - Certified Naturally Grown
Clarksville, Missouri - Mississippi River Bluffs, Zone 6