market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] field orientation

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] field orientation
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 14:43:07 -0400

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 23:21:32 -0600, E C GRANATA wrote:
> No slope--it's flat.  The 'issue' is that the plot (this is an urban farm)
>is
> a city block that is oriented on a 45 degree angle from due north, south,
> east, west, so to orient either east- west or north-south, the beds have to
> run on a diagonal to the lot, and that's not a very efficient use of space.
> I'd rather have more beds which I can do if the orientation on a northeast
>by
> south west orientation isn't a show stopper.

My gardens are situated such that, like yours, the most logical orientation
is either NE-SW or NW-SE. Most of my rows run the former, some the latter.
Weeds, water, and the farmer's time are the real critical variables, in my
experience. The plants don't seem to care which direction their nearest
neighbor is in.

--
Richard Robinson
www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/