market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] field orientation

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: mamica5 AT sssnet.com
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] field orientation
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 10:21:20 -0400 (EDT)

I am in no way an expert, but many gardening manuals encourage north south
orientation...by that I mean that rows run north south. I think it is
recommended to orient GH that direction so that all of the plant can get
the best quality light. Makes sense to me. If you are trying to use
micro-climate to the best advantage I guess you might consider changing
orientation depending on your perceived need.
I think I have a great garden...it is on a slight "knoll", sloping
slightly to the north south and west, my rows are oriented north south.

I would be interested in what others have to say about this.
So far...most of my attempts at "micro-climate" have failed. Last year I
tried growing Lettuce midsummer in central ohio between two trellised
rows of pole beans...the beans were 72 in apart with lettuce in the
middle. The lettuce didn't bolt but it was leggy, pale and worthless, in
my opinion. This year I am trying to shade just from the west. That is
better.