market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Shading an overheated greenhouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Shading an overheated greenhouse
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 21:27:40 -0500

The whitewash method below is one of the oldest, cheapest and easiest ways to somewhat cool a summer greenhouse.  But after enough summers struggling with the heat, I now just empty the house until September.  I start second season seedlings on benches outside in a shady location or occasionally have a small house covered with only shadecloth.  (But the shade cloth is murderously expensive)
Once in a while, I have had the chance to locate a greenhouse to passive solar advantage-east to west with a hedgerow of deciduous trees on the south side. But most of the time, recalling that Hell itself is a warm, well-lit place, I abandon the house for the summer.
Shawnee, zone 5 which is like living in the Arctic all winter and Death Valley in the summer.