market-farming - [Market-farming] Setting up injectors and mixers for fertigation in high tunnels

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Andy Fellenz <fellenz AT fltg.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, High tunnel discussion list <HIGHTUNNELS AT LISTSERV.KSU.EDU>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Setting up injectors and mixers for fertigation in high tunnels
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 22:09:42 -0400

I'm planning to fertigate with some Neptunes Harvest liquid fish at 100:1 and also to acidify my hard water with some OMRI approved citric acid. I've been acidifying in the greenhouse with a chemilizer injector and it has worked OK. I have also used some fish in the greenhouse, but need to mix up the five gallon tote before every use and I see some settling in the bucket over the 30 min or so that I am watering.

I'm thinking of putting together a centralized system for my hightunnels which will supply 5 houses. The houses will be watered sequentially so the system will be running for a fairly long period of time.

My thought was to set up two injectors - one for the fish and one for the acid so that I can run just acidified water through my drip or overhead to clean things up after running the fish. Does this make sense or is there a better way to do it? Also, with the fish, what is the best way to keep the solids in suspension in the drum? Should I get some type of drum mixer or is there a better way.

Thanks for any help/insight you can offer.

Andy

  • [Market-farming] Setting up injectors and mixers for fertigation in high tunnels, Andy Fellenz, 06/14/2010