market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] holding sweet potato slips

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rob Wallbridge" <rob AT songberry.ca>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] holding sweet potato slips
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 09:17:16 -0400

Hi again,

I do plant them out in the field after risk of frost has passed (usually late May). I plant them into black plastic to provide additional heat, and I’ve harvested some respectably large roots after our first mid-September frost. I’ve had the best luck with the Georgia Jet variety from Mapple Farm in New Brunswick.

Having said all that, I’ve never grown them on a “commercial” scale (always less than 100 slips) – they’ve been primarily for personal use, although we’ve had positive response to the amount we have brought to market. The biggest challenge I’ve encountered is harvest – they don’t grow in a clump like regular potatoes, the “tubers” are actually true enlargements of the actual roots, so they can occur at any point along the roots. Usually, that happens fairly close to the plant, but I’ve found big tubers out at the edge of the bed, a couple of feet from the plant stem. Which means a lot of digging! Maybe if they were grown on hills or ridges the “set” would be more concentrated – I’m not sure – the large-scale growers must have some system figured out.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob Wallbridge

Songberry Organic Farm

24 Sixth Line, Bristol, QC J0X 1G0

email: rob AT songberry.ca

web: www.songberry.ca

facebook: become a fan of "Songberry Organic Farm"