market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] I'm a TN farmer also...flooded

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "breck" <bcarden AT breckinridgegroup.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] I'm a TN farmer also...flooded
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 09:09:57 -0400

It's everything that was in the path of the flood. Including everything in
the houses, garages, barns, sheds, sewage plants, businesses, factories..
Maybe the ppm of noxious residue is negligible; I hope so for all you folk
affected.
Flood plains were once replenished by the addition of the topsoil washed off
the highlands, but today look at what else you get. What are the organic
certifiers saying?

Farmer breck

If you're concerned about food-borne pathogens, take into consideration that
they don't persist well in soil normally. If you incorporate any residue
from the flood into the ground, the native micro-organisms largely
out-compete, or even predate on the food-borne pathogens. That's one of the
many reasons having a strong soil microbe community is beneficial.

Bill
William H. Shoemaker
I, too, would be interested to have information about health considerations
related to working recently flooded land. Once I think the local health
department is a little less stressed I'll give them a call and report back
here.