market-farming - [Market-farming] Using Ammoniated Straw

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jay Sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Using Ammoniated Straw
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 07:08:52 -0700 (PDT)

I am getting started on mulching my crops with straw this year.  Last year I didn't and that was a big mistake.  I have two options for straw this year. Really old decomposing straw bales or ammoniated straw bales.  The old straw is 45 minutes away at my parents house and the ammoniated straw is less than 1/4 of a mile away.  My neighbor has extra bales and is wanting to get rid of them. He even offered to bring them up with his tractor and put them where I need them. I am talking about big round bales of straw.  I will probably use 4-6 bales this year

The question is this, will the ammoniated bales "burn" my plants or is the nitrogen levels too low to worry about. My neighbor says his dad used the ground up straw for mulch  and said it worked really great.  I would really like to save time and money, but don't want to regret my decision.

I will be mulching potatoes, squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, watermelons and canteloupe.

Thanks,

Jay

Jay's Jellies, Produce and More
Clay Center, Kansas