market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tips on efficient filling and seeding of trays?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rob Wallbridge" <rob AT songberry.ca>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tips on efficient filling and seeding of trays?
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 10:11:56 -0400

Great discussion here. I use a big tub filled with moistened mix, fill cell trays by hand, first by dumping and smoothing over the top, then poking each cell with a finger or two, then loosely filling again to ensure consistent amounts of mix in each cell. The next layer of trays go on top, and get pressed into the bottom layer to make room for the seed. I can do about 50 trays/hour like this. I use an old freezer lid as a surface, and after I’m done a batch, just sweep the spillage back into the tub.

But after reading the responses so far, my question is: do you think I’m packing too much mix into the cells? Is it getting too compressed for optimal growth? Am I wasting money by using more mix than needed? My transplants are generally very healthy, but I have had challenges the past couple of years getting good top growth on my lettuce and basil transplants. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rob

Rob Wallbridge

Songberry Organic Farm

24 Sixth Line, Bristol, QC J0X 1G0

email: rob AT songberry.ca

web: www.songberry.ca

facebook: become a fan of "Songberry Organic Farm"