market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tips on efficient filling and seeding of trays?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tips on efficient filling and seeding of trays?
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 07:29:41 -0500

Tom,

We use one of those rectangular plastic tubs (about 2x3.5 and 8” deep) you can get at Lowe’s or Home Depot for mixing concrete.  It will hold a couple of cubic feet of mix and a flat will fit in it with room for filling. Then, just use your hands, or a long brush like you’d use to brush snow off your windshield to brush excess off the top.  We add our nutrients to the media, and get it moist, but not wet before filling.  Then, flats go on a bench (or the floor this time of year – bench space is limited!) for watering.  Once they are good and moist, we seed them.

Works well for us, the tubs are cheap and last for many many years – we’ve had ours  10-12 years and they still look new.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm

For example, how about something simple like filling the cells with starter mix? Right now I'm just scooping the damp mix on top of the cells and using my hands to work it around and into the cells, trying to get them all filled and slightly packed, without losing a lot off the edges in the process.  There's gotta be a faster and better way to do this. How do you all do it?

Tom at Tom's Gardens
Cut Flowers & Veggies
Northern Lower Michigan