market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tips on efficient filling and seeding of trays?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sheila Payne <srp75 AT msn.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tips on efficient filling and seeding of trays?
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 07:45:42 -0600

I am a small grower, too.  To fill trays we get a really big  plastic pot (one used for a tree).  Fill it with the soil, dampen with water.  Lay out the trays on a blue tarp...as many as 9-12 at a time.  Get them close together, touching to make one solid surface of trays.  Use a shovel and put a pile on top of each tray and then use a shop broom to spread out the soil to fill all the holes. Back and forth a few times over the tops of the trays.  You get calibrated after a wile on how much soil to shovel on so that you have enough to fill the trays but not have too much excess.  Every once in a while, dump the soil that has fallen on the tarp back into the pot.   When I seed up, I keep a small pot of soil close by for those few holes that didn't get quite enough in the back and forth sweeping.

Shela
Colorado..."Thundersnow" this morning

For example, how about something simple like filling the cells with starter mix? Right now I'm just scooping the damp mix on top of the cells and using my hands to work it around and into the cells, trying to get them all filled and slightly packed, without losing a lot off the edges in the process.  There's gotta be a faster and better way to do this. How do you all do it?