market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Drip Tape, closing off the ends

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Drip Tape, closing off the ends
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 10:16:48 -0500

On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 06:43:11AM -0600, Don Lareau wrote:
> We have done as everyone here has said but finally invested in the auto
> flush valves and we love them. We can make sure that each line is working
> properly but simply walking down the ends of the rows and push in the
> button, seeing the same pressure from each line and clean water running
> through has allowed us to keep the irrigation running well the whole season.
> They have lasted for years, so worth the buck a piece. We also rely on our
> drip, no rain here. Maybe not this year but well worth it in my opinion.

I concur.

We have "iron" in our ground water and it precipitates out as red mud
after it passes through filters. We install drip tube with the emitter
side up and then the mud and crud works it way down the drip line
without much clogging and then eventually out the auto flush valves.

Major leaks are detected by auto flush valves that do no close due to
low pressure. Find a running flush valve and then walk up that line to
find the leak.

Using barb drip line connectors on the input end helps limit flow that
is lost to leaks.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 25 days 4 hours 10 minutes