market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Buying a used greenhouse, Bending your own pipe

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jay Sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Buying a used greenhouse, Bending your own pipe
  • Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 22:18:58 -0700 (PDT)

I have made my own hoop houses. I have a total of 6 now.

Here is a picture of my newest  "Big" tunnel, It is 18 by 42.  It is a combination of 1 inch PVC, 1 3/8 chainlink toprail and wood.  While some may think it looks hokie, they only cost me about $600 total to build.

Frame:
http://s587.photobucket.com/albums/ss315/jrslick/?action="view&current=IMG_1172.jpg
With Plastic (different building)
http://s587.photobucket.com/albums/ss315/jrslick/?action="view&current=IMG_1146.jpg
Here is a picture of my movable steel framed buildings.  They are new this year.  My father in law is an electrician, he helped bend the 24 foot pieces of pipe into the shape.  We used a 1 1/2 inch conduit bender. Very easy, but you need two-three people and some people with experience with bending pipe. One wrong bend and you ruin the 24 foot pipe.  While I wish we would have done a steeper roof, I am happy with them and they are finally planted.  BTW, they are 16 by 32.

If you are interested in bending 24 foot square tubing, here are the blue prints for the bending tool and plans for a building.  I have seen these buildings modified with a 1 by 4 running the length of the building for roll up sides.  Most have been build in the central US, however I spoke to the designer of the plans and he said one was build in Maine this year. He hadn't heard how it handled the winter.

http://www.kerrcenter.com/publications/hoophouse/index.htm

Hoop houses don't have to cost a fortune, but they have to be functional. If you are just starting off, I would suggest someone to build a cheaper house and see if they like growing with them. Then take that money you made and buy a fancier one.

Jay

Jay's Jellies, Produce and More
Clay Center, Kansas
www.jaysjellies.com