market-farming - [Market-farming] garlic question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roots Farm & Karen Sutherland <rootsfarm AT cwdom.dm>
  • To: Market Farming Community Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] garlic question
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 06:42:30 -0400

I have planted some Mexican grown garlic seed (don't know variety, but is purplish white skin).  Since this is tropical location, getting cloves is a long shot anyway, but how would I know when the  garlic may be ready without digging?  I planted the cloves in peat pots in mid Oct., then transplanted in to ground in January.  Despite the heat and drought, the tops look OK, although not lush.  Onions transplanted at similar time are getting big and I expect tops will start falling over soon.

Thanks and best wishes to all,

Karen

Roots Farm
Organic Produce