market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] garlic question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roots Farm & Karen Sutherland <rootsfarm AT cwdom.dm>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] garlic question
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:11:57 -0400

Thanks, Sean.  Refrigeration would have been smart.  Next time.......  Any idea for how long bulbs should be cold?

All best wishes,

Karen

On Mar 17, 2010, at 8:55 PM, Sean Albiston wrote:

I've grown a pile of garlic over the years.  I think many types only
require down a bit below 50 for vernalization.  You could simply
refrigerate the bulbs before planting too.

sean Stillwater, MN

Now this is an interesting garlic question....
What latitude are you in there?  In the north-42 degrees latitude-the
garlic is vernalized-when October planted-by cold.  Wonder if that works
with light where you don't have temps under 32 degrees?  I don't know!