market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Soil Blocks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Inglis" <mhcsa AT verizon.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Soil Blocks
  • Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 19:22:34 -0500

McEnroe organics mix out of Millerton NY is a blocking mix. http://www.mcenroeorganicfarm.com/

I think they still make blocks on a large scale using their own mix. They could also help you with questions..

Blocks will:

  • make large strong transplants,
  • require skill to make
  • root very quickly once transplanted,
  • use up a lot of space
  • use a lot of mix
  • be very hard to re wet if they dry out,
  • still need some kind of flat to get them out to the field and/or grow in [I still have a bunch of flats that fit 4 shots just of the stand up model of the blockers if you want to buy them cheap]
  • tend to run roots from one block to the next if they get too old, but
  • be able to be held longer if field conditions delay you.
  • dry out if exposed to air once transplanted
  • be labor intensive to make
  • need less frequent watering
  • germinate seed without the seed being covered by mix [I used a broken flat over the blocks]

Good luck

Dave

Dave Inglis

Mahaiwe Harvest C.S.A.