market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Soil Blocks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Soil Blocks
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 08:48:27 -0500

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 17:27:49 -0500, Deb Taft wrote:

> So, do you use one?  What are pros and cons?  Do you use it/them for all
> applications or are you still using flats for some things?  If so, what?
> What soil mixes have you used with them?  Have you tried your own mix?  Are
> the stand up models worth the extra cost for the sizes that are similar to
> the hand-held types?

I'm no expert, but I'm using this recipe this spring:

3 parts peat
4 parts vermiculite
3 parts farm compost

The compost is super-rich, having received all our kitchen scraps plus aged
horse manure and some soil, and then decomposing for about 12 months. This
mix is so far performing better than Johnny's soilblock mix for the lettuces
I am using for a comparison.

--
Richard Robinson
http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/