market-farming - [Market-farming] Soil Blocks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Deb Taft <growbd AT aol.com>
  • To: Market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Soil Blocks
  • Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 17:27:49 -0500

Hi All.

I'm putting off the purchase of seed starting stuff because I'm seriously considering  soil block makers from Johnnys.  Avoiding all that plastic is really appealing, and it seems like the cost could be significantly lower if I can find or make the right soil mix.  I've only seen one in action and I wasn't convinced but definitely intrigued...

So, do you use one?  What are pros and cons?  Do you use it/them for all applications or are you still using flats for some things?  If so, what?  What soil mixes have you used with them?  Have you tried your own mix?  Are the stand up models worth the extra cost for the sizes that are similar to the hand-held types?

I would really love to hear whatever you might have to say about them.

I've decided -finally!- on a name:  Mobius Fields ...now I just have to secure some land to lease!!!  yikes.  Cutting it close.  Crossed fingers, prayers, good vibes all greatly appreciated for this.

Warmly,
Deb
Sleepy Hollow NY