market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] BT sweet corn. Get IPM Reports.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "William H Shoemaker" <wshoemak AT illinois.edu>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] BT sweet corn. Get IPM Reports.
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 13:39:47 -0600

That sounds pretty good for small scale producers. Good to know.

Blacklights are used to make traps for monitoring insect populations. We
have such a trap here. At night it attracts insects just like a bug zapper.
It catches and euthanizes the insects. Then you can remove and determine
which insects were flying the previous night. It's good for monitoring
certain species, especially moths and beetles. It doesn't kill much but you
have a clear idea of pests that fly at night and are attracted to it, like
European Corn Borer. I don't know if it would help to use a blacklights in
your trap or not. It might make it more attractive.

Bill

Greetings,

We cover about 100 sq ft with ours, and the moths can do a lot of
damage. In 2008 we had to burn our entire garden due to pin worm
infestation, almost wiped us out. We had to get special permits to burn
during a burn ban, all around a bad scene. Really scared us.

We don't use black lights, we use ordinary CFs, the 13 watt ones I do
believe. What would be the advantage of using a black light?

Bright Blessings,
Kim

William H Shoemaker wrote:
> Kim
>
> Because you need to use a lot of acreage to produce sweet corn, and
because
> the moth flights that cause damage can be huge populations, they would
> probably have minimal effect. You would need the traps every 20' in every
> direction I would guess to have a reasonable impact. Then there's the
> question of how many worms can you afford to miss? I think pheremone
> trapping and using a zea-lator would be less difficult and more reliable.
Of