market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Basement seed room

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marcy" <mlynnn AT wildblue.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Basement seed room
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 22:06:39 -0700

I did this for years using a 4x8' sheet of plywood on sawhorses, with
electric blanket on top of plywood, then plastic on top of that. 4' nicely
fits 2 flats across it and align good with 4' fluorescent fixtures. I used
chains to raise and lower lights along with an "S" hook to hook into the
light fixture.
The air doesn't need to be that warm if you heat the soil until they
germinate.
Wish I still had a basement to do this. It's much easier to manage than the
temperature extremes in the unheated hoophouse!
Marcy