market-farming - [Market-farming] Basement seed room

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Basement seed room
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 16:48:35 -0500

I am busy getting ready to install a seed room in my unheated basement, and
wonder if any of you have any general or specific words of advice. I am
thinking of 6'x12', with two 12'-long sets of shelves on either side of a
center aisle. I will enclose it with rigid insulation, and include a vent to
the outside for excess humidity. Light will be from 4' fluorescent fixtures
fixed in place over the shelves; I plan to raise and lower the seedlings,
rather than the lights (though would be interested in easy ways to move the
lights instead). I will include a plug-in electric heater (one of those
oil-heating units) to keep the temperature up.

Any advice or caveats?

thanks.

--
Richard Robinson