market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Basement seed room

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mac" <gofish54 AT centurytel.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Basement seed room
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 23:34:00 -0500

We seemed to have a positive benefit with our tomatoes and peppers.  That was suggested from another grower here in the midwest.

We had some problems with the cole crops, but our cold, wet spring caused us to harden these crops about two weeks too long.  I felt that contributed to some problems with our cauliflower.

We raise small batches of hydroponic lettuce and pak choi for our family use in the winter and I start them 24/7 then switch to 16 hours daily after the plants get established.  Some are on a shorter light schedule than that.  - mac

Quoting Etienne Goyer :

That is interesting. I was under the impression the plants would need a
period of dark to complete their daily cycle. Have you done any
comparison in term of growth between having the plant under light 24h a
day, versus something more conventional like 14 or 16h? Are there any
crops that do *not* like 24h of lightning?

I also have some concern about transplanting plant that have been
exposed to such long "day". Wouldn't exposing the seedling to much
shorter (real) day after transplanting trigger bolting? I guess it
depends on the specific crop.