market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] driveway

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Tammy Jones <TamJones AT centurytel.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] driveway
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 21:23:31 -0600

I will add a loud and resounding second to the recommendation of the geotextile fabric.
At first it seemed like a PIA additional expense (about $300 for a 450' roll) but in a comparison of two different areas of our farm, the results are phenomenal. We have a friable loam - wonderful for growing but awful for driveways. Gravel seems to disappear; it literally sinks. It seemed to happen almost overnight during years of high precipitation or in low spots. We've tried all kinds of aggregate size and combinations (fines to help compact, several inches of large to build a base, etc.) and we were still adding gravel way too often.
*Nothing* worked like the geotexile fabric.

I really knew nothing about it until I did some research out of frustration. I was soooo tired of paying for gravel way too often. I will never build a driveway or add anymore gravel to a location without it.

Here are some links for further reading -

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/91143-new-stone-driveway-use-geotextile.html

http://www.usfabricsinc.com/products/wovenstabilization.shtml

http://www.usconstructionfabrics.com/ssr.aspx

http://www.tencate.com/smartsite.dws?id=2752

HTH\
Tam

Michael Meredith wrote:

Lots of people use geofabric as a base coat. This keeps the rock from going
on down, and stabilizes the surface, keeping it flat