market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Bait to trap skunk

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Bait to trap skunk
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 21:13:54 -0400

Skunks are a beekeepers No. 1 enemy around here. We use cat food to trap, but a little honey or honeycomb would probably work real well too. Herbivores? They eat bees. They stand in front of the hive and scratch until bees come out to defend the hive, then pick them right off and munch. They can decimate a hive within a week.

Beth Spaugh

Rehoboth Homestead, Peru, NY

Farm Fresh Food Club CSA - http://rhomestead.com

Garden fresh vegetables, organically grown, and pastured chicken, duck, and geese

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe

I set the live trap on top of a little fish emulsion.  They'll smell the fish from a distance and detour there.  It's about time for them to start appearing as people in town trap them and let them go out here "where nobody lives."  A shot to the heart kills instantly and keeps them from spraying.

Robin
Seasons Eatings Farm
Talmadge, Maine

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe