market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Anyone want tomatoes?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Flying S Farms <farmerwantabe AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Anyone want tomatoes?
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 08:02:10 -0500

We total agree with you, by the time you seed trays, get ready to transplant, plant, tie, cultivate, etc. your time and cost has increased considerably. Ben says we'll take them home and put up before we drop our price. Each of our markets are different and have to adjust prices accordingly, ours range from $2.00 to $4.00 and the low price is just breaking even.

We are so tired of the $1.00/pd markets. Had a Farmer this past weekend show up with left over produce from their garden, that is what a Farmers Market is for, but TRIED to sell corn at $1.00/doz and 3 handfuls of heirloom pole beans for $1.00, checked his corn it was good quality and fresh and got him up to $4.00/doz and his beans to $3.00. He sold out quickly and was gone...thank goodness. Decided in a case like that it might be better just to buy them out for $40 and triple it later.

We attempt to educate our customers about the quality and reliability of buy Farm Fresh and Locally Grown...some are so clueless and figure if it comes directly from the farm it should be cheap. That is 'grocery storitus'.

Ben and Catherine Simmons
Flying S Farms
Woodbury, Tennessee
615-542-1078