market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Anyone want tomatoes?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marcy Nameth" <mlynnn AT wildblue.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Anyone want tomatoes?
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 22:31:39 -0600

Part of the problem with our food system is the consolidation of processing plants.  I’m just learning the history of the area we live now, but 40-50  years ago there was a sugar beet plant,  a pickle plant, a tomato plant, another one that processed pearl onions and a potato chip plant, all within 20 miles of us. And I probably don’t know the half of it.

Now we’re in the same boat as the meat and dairy guys – there’s no place to sell in quantity.  The creameries, the county meat processing plant and the local produce plants are all shut down.   Thankfully for us thought it’s still possible to sell fresh produce to customers without processing. Once you pass the volume the options diminish.

You might make a few calls to a biggish town close to you though – produce stands or distributors? I’ve been assuming that everyone here had a glut of green beans but found out last night that some of the bigger guys are out right now.

Any restaurants that put up their own sauce?

Offer a canning class and sell tomatoes too?

Our church has two stoves and we’re planning a couple different classes both to teach and use up some produce.

Marcy

SE Colo

From: market-farming-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org [mailto:market-farming-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of jay sleichter

What do you do when you have too many tomatoes when lowering price doesn't work?   I guess I will be canning salsa and tomatoes tomorrow or my chickens will be happy!

Jay