market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Anyone want tomatoes?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Garth & Kim Travis <gartht AT txcyber.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Anyone want tomatoes?
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 06:27:18 -0500

Greetings,
Many vendors in our market lowered their prices this year. We were unaware of this when we finally came to market with our tomatoes. We had raised our prices. We are selling well, since most of the people at our market are looking at quality, not price. The market is not walmart, it costs money to raise quality, so people expect to pay for it.
The heat wave of June/July caused our tomatoes to all ripen at the same time, rather than a nice flow of tomatoes. But, we need to eat for the next year, so canning, salsa, freezing etc is what we do with our less than perfect/too old to sell tomatoes.
Would a tax deduction do you good? Most Seniors/Nursing homes will give you a tax reciept for your tomatoes and you could at least have the warm fuzzies of knowing you made a bunch of old folks happy.

Our tomatoes are $6 a pound with cherries being $7.

Bright Blessings,
Kim

jay sleichter wrote:
Well it seems that this year is the best tomato year in Kansas. I have so many picked and ready to sell, but not enough customers. Even large quantities at a discount price! I am afraid to know how much I have, (at least 400 pounds!) I know I need to pick probably another 200 pounds tomorrow.

What do you do when you have too many tomatoes when lowering price doesn't work? I guess I will be canning salsa and tomatoes tomorrow or my chickens will be happy!

We are selling tomatoes at $2.00 a pound, just FYI.

Thanks,

Jay