market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Anyone want tomatoes?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: jay sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Anyone want tomatoes?
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 12:46:14 -0700 (PDT)

Thank You All for all your wonderful ideas.  I want to take and use so many of them.  I would love to make salsa, however there are no processors in the area that I am aware of.  Flour mills and locker plants are easy, no tomato processors!  I also am running short on time.  My full time job of teaching is going to start in a few weeks.
I do some value added products on a smaller scale with my pepper Jellies. I sell the year around and it is a way to earn some income in the winter.  I wanting to expand this line and go commercial with it, when I have the time to get everything inline.

I am selling tomatoes to a grocery store in a near by town.  I took the first 120 pounds to them this morning. I took all my kids with me too.  They loved them and put them out to sell when we got there. My kids got to help put them out on their display tables.  They were very proud.  They are wanting more, maybe I have found a market.

I know the price was not as high as I would like it to be at a $1 per pound, but I am afraid that my markets aren't going to support $2 a pound much longer. If I can sell them for $1 a pound and not have to worry about trying to sell them, it works for me. I have been picking tomatoes out of my high tunnel since the middle of June.  I have made a healthy profit from all the early ones.

Thanks for all the help!

Jay