market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] growing garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] growing garlic
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 14:37:23 -0400

On Jul 9, 2009, at 10:23 AM, cjmaness AT juno.com wrote:

We've tried growing a small amount of garlic twice. And, both times we got little or nothing. I may have waited too long to harvest, or wrong varieties. I've been reading up on the subject and am thinking maybe trying a creole type? From what I've read this might work better for our climate. Anyway, we did a poor job on weed control, didn't mulch. So, I'm guessing any or all of the above are my problem.

When did you plant it? Garlic needs to be planted in the fall -- where I am, around mid-October; for harvest the following July. Inexperienced growers sometimes spring plant it, which will give only a very small crop.

You need a variety suited to your particular climate and soils. If you know anyone in the area with similar soils who's growing good garlic, try to buy some seed stock from them. If there isn't anyone (and maybe even if there is), get a number of different strains from similar climates, keep good planting maps so you know which is which, and keep growing the ones that do well.

Plant the larger cloves from the larger bulbs, unless the largest bulbs are over about 2 1/2" across. Tiny cloves, or cloves from little bulbs, are more likely to give you small garlic. You want, ideally, fair sized cloves from bulbs about two to two and a half inches across.

Mulch at planting, or before the ground freezes. Garlic will in my experience come right up through the mulch in the spring, no need to pull the mulch back. It's coming up through several inches of soil, after all.

Cultivating between the rows well, plus the mulch, might be all the weed control you really need; or it might not.

If conditions are dry, irrigate in spring, but stop irrigating at least a couple of weeks before harvest starts. .If the weather irrigates for you around harvest time -- it often does here -- this can be a problem, of course. Try to harvest from as dry a field as you can reasonably manage; but don't let more than about half the leaves die back before harvest, or the bulbs may open out, exposing the cloves from within the outer bulb wrapper.