market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] CSA Broccoli Question and Fall Planting Questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: jay sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] CSA Broccoli Question and Fall Planting Questions
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 18:31:15 -0700 (PDT)

I didn't have thousands, but I did grow a small patch of broccoli this year. I agree with Carla, plant early with well hardened off plants.  My broccoli was planted out at the end of March and it got down to 18 degrees with a 30 mph north wind. No row cover and it was just fine. The next week a freaky April snowstorm, we had 4 inches and it was fine.  Every time it started to get hot for a few days, then it turned off cold in May and June.  Very strange spring.

I walked through the patch and picked budding heads.  I only lost one side shoot to blooming. I ate that one on the spot so nothing was wasted!

Carla, do you plant broccoli in the fall?  When do you start it?  When do you plant it out?  When do you harvest? IOne market runs through September and the other market runs until October 31st.  I am hoping to have a fall crop of broccoli and cauliflower.  Any advise?

Thanks,

Jay