market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Mizuna

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: bcluton AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Mizuna
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 21:40:01 -0400

If you can grow good Arugula you can probably grow good Mizuna.  The two are awfully similar in my experience.  Which roughly translated(for us) means I'm not even bothering to grow any outside of the late fall field season and in the winter and early spring hightunnel.  I used to grow both in spring but the quality is so hit or miss that I kind of gave up on both.  Row covers at seeding are a prerequisite to help control flea beetles.  This seemed to be our problem with early season or summer growth.  Even with good water supply we couldn't keep quality in spring and summer.  We either struggled with flea beetle damage and/or bolting.  They are fast and in their time and place easy - so they'd be worth some experimentation at-least.

Brian
www.stonesthrowfarm.biz