market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] CSA Broccoli Question and Fall Planting Questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] CSA Broccoli Question and Fall Planting Questions
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 02:39:18 GMT

Jay,
Yes, we do plant broccoli for fall. Our market ends Oct. 31st, and I'm still
playing around with starting and transplanting dates. This year, I seeded in
the greenhouse May 25th, and it is almost ready to transplant. I'm hoping to
start harvesting around mid Sept. This is the first time I've started things
so early, but in years past if I followed university guidelines, our broccoli
wasn't ready until 2 weeks before market closed. Not good. I basically
repeated my spring planting, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and brussels
sprouts. We do have a winter market available now, so we can continue to sell
after our summer market closes.
Our biggest challenges (so far) with the fall planting are either
grasshoppers or I guess, fall army worms? Some kind of worm that moves in
from the neighbors wheat field and can wipe us out overnight. We've learned
the hard way to not plant fall crops in that part of our field, which makes
the crop rotation a little trickier.
We grow Premium Crop, Everest, and Packman. Nothing special about any of them
really, but they have been fairly consistent with our crazy weather. We had
the same sort of spring you had, and they came through with very little loss.
We don't grow huge amounts of broccoli. 2000 plants of broccoli, 1800
cauliflower, and 800 each of cabbage and brussels sprouts.
Carla
Perkins, OK

Save on hotels. Click here to find and compare hotel deals.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTKDEz8JjAccNGtrUjnWDnPshZ8MEg3xuYELcChhN6xDHJWuap7UXm/