market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] CSA Broccoli Question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] CSA Broccoli Question
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 21:47:06 GMT

Allan,
We get told the same thing here in Oklahoma. That broccoli does better as a
fall crop, not spring. And, every year we somehow manage to get a nice spring
crop. We plant early. About Feb. 15th here, weather permitting. It got down
to either 16 or 18 degrees and the broccoli survived just fine. These were
well hardened off transplants. We try and walk through the field about every
other day. You will see the buds starting to swell and that's a good
indicator that it is getting ready to bolt. We cut, dip in very cold water,
and put it in the cooler until market day. We do lose a few to bolting, but
not many.
We are zone 6b/7.
Carla
Perkins, OK