market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tomato Research

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tomato Research
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 22:21:37 -0400

Up here plastic may be better for tomatoes, as our soil much of the season runs cooler than they like, and plastic can help warm the soil, while organic mulches are more likely to cool it. My guess is that this is less of an issue in WV, unless maybe you're trying to get an extra early crop.

To be honest with you, I think my tomatoes under deep straw have always done better than the ones on red or black plastic. And yet, I keep hearing that it should be otherwise. You're right, though. Sometimes it's hard to recognize when such advice is targeted for certain USDA zones. -Allan in WV where the melons definitely do like black plastic (in my experience)